We can repair SF6 leaks
and top up leaking SF6 assets
EMT can provide both the test equipment and certified technicians for SF6 leak surveillance, SF6 leak repair and the safe filling and topping up of SF6 insulating gas compartments. Performing these essential maintenance tasks, our Site Services team can provide 24/7 coverage across the network. Our work delivers key environmental and financial benefits to utilities including: asset reliability, long term compliance and performance, maximum up-time and security of critical infrastructure.
Solar Park SF6 Leak Survey
The asset was leak tested to identify the leak source using EMT Leak Hunter. SF6 gas content was analysed with Zerowaste Rapide+ technology and the asset was topped up with new gas to meet the required working pressure.
The asset will continue to be monitored for top up requirements. The team have recommended that prior to future topping up, a full vacuum is applied to the asset to remove any moisture content before SF6 is replaced.
GIS Substation SF6 Re-Gas
The system was checked for SF6 leakage to confirm leak points prior to removal. SF6 was removed from GIS down to zero working pressure. The leak was repaired and GIS was re-gassed to required pressure.
The team plan to return to site to remove the leak repair kit when GIS is stripped down at a later date.
SF6 Leak Remediation and Preventative Repairs
SF6 leak surveillance on three GIB bushings determined leaks on two areas; identified and verified via IR hand held leak detector and leak detecting fluid. The asset was de-gassed and vacuum pulled before repairs were made to the joints. All other seals were repaired as a preventative measure.
The asset was returned to full pressure and final leak tests were completed. A final test on the condition of SF6 gas was carried out via Zerowaste Rapide+ Analyser. All repairs were successful – pressure and gas quality within required operational conditions.
Norwegian Utility SF6 Leak Detection
A Norwegian utility contracted EMT Site Services to run a series of leak surveys to detect and confirm the presence of SF6 leakage within the work area. Using EMT best practice leak survey methodology and EMT advanced leak detection technology, our team identified and located several SF6 leaks within their installed assets including GIB, HV bushings and interconnecting supply pipework.
The team are scheduled to undertake three leak repairs with composite sealant filler and bonding technique, which will require SF6 gas handling and removal of the gas during repair. In addition to EMT site services, this customer has also expressed an interest in EMT fixed point detection systems and our Zerowaste analysis technologies.
Wind Farm SF6 Gas Handling
EMT customers can choose from a range of innovative packaged solutions, with products and services which support the productivity, efficiency and profitability of their utility operations.
Whatever the requirement or budget, whether the need is for technology, expertise or both, best practice SF6 gas handling with EMT delivers zero emissions, zero waste, compliance and protection of assets, personnel and the environment. The team have completed a project for a UK wind farm, degassing and refilling SF6 Switchgear on a turbine.
T&D SF6 Leak Repair
Project completed for a large electricity transmission and distribution business in the UK
- LOCATED SF6 gas leaks on flanges with the EMT Leak Hunter portable gas leak detector
- ANALYSED gas purity, moisture and by-products with the EMT Zerowaste Rapide+, EMT Moisture Pro, and EMT Verify
- MONITORED target pressures throughout the SF6 leak repair process with EMT Pressure Validation Kits
- EVACUATED, stored and re-used SF6 gas with EMT Gas Recovery Carts
- APPLIED best practice SF6 gas handling with EMT Smartfill filling and top-up technologies
- UTILISED the right parts to complete the job with EMT Gas Fittings Kits Regulators, Stems & Hoses
- PROTECTED maintenance personnel exposed to SF6 gas leakages on flanges with EMT Personal Gas Safety Monitors
- REPAIRED with tried and tested, best practice SF6 leak management solutions REFLANGEKiT® SF6 Leak Sealing Technology
- CERTIFIED leak repair works carried out by qualified experts EMT Site Services
Middle Eastern Utility Smartfill CTU Installation
On site installation of four Smartfill Continuous Topping Up Systems, for a leading Electricity Transmission and Distribution Network Operator in the Middle East.
The Smartfill CTU delivers live, automated, on-demand top-up in the event of an SF6 leak; and is designed to manage leak operations where regular, controlled top-ups are required. Using this zero-waste approach to replenish the gas results in reduced SF6 usage, inventory and costs.
Smartfill technology ensures assets remain operational and at peak performance, securing continuity for EMT customers. The installation was a success, as was the training which followed, and discussions are underway for further installations on other sites.
SF6 Leak Management
Following a site survey, the team confirmed SF6 leaks on all phases of the asset, which required immediate repair and preventative maintenance. The project was for six flange repairs; three upper flange and three lower cover plate with sensor.
All repairs were carried out under live conditions and full pressure. From surface preparations; to soft shell mounting and reinforcement; through to hard shell, resin application, final seal and post repair testing – our expert engineers followed proven and rigorous EMT protocols using trusted and reliable EMT technologies and solutions, to ensure compliance at every stage of the project.
Solar Farm SF6 Gas Analysis and Top Up
Issue: Leaking GIS asset
- Site survey detected and located switchgear leak using EMT Handheld SF6 Leak Detector
- Gas analysis carried out by EMT Site Service Engineers using Zerowaste Rapide+ Analyser
- Tests prior to gas top up indicated SF6 gas required
- Tests after the asset was re-gassed confirmed SF6 gas usage
- Asset checked for leaks following gas top up and minor repairs
Result: Leak detected at another location; further works required.
Survey and Repair of Leaking SF6 Assets
Industry: Power T&D
Application: SF6 leak repair, gas inspection cover plates (non-pressurised)
Customer: UK electric utility substation
- Leak surveyed using Handheld SF6 Leak Detector
- Existing gas purity analysed with EMT Zerowaste Rapide+ Analyser
- Asset de-gassed using EMT Gas Cart
- Surface preparation and cleaning works undertaken
- Nine specialist repair works completed
- Asset re-gassed, gas purity checked, and post repair testing completed
- Further scheduled preventative maintenance work has been recommended due to high H20 ppm readings recorded in the SF6 gas
- EMT delivered the technology and expertise to survey and repair leaking SF6 assets with a cost-effective solution and minimal disruption to operations, which was welcomed by the customer, whose alternative would have been to replace the asset at considerable cost and with significant disruption to the substation.
Field Based SF6 Gas Top Up
Industry: Solar power generation
Application: SF6 gas topping up at two sites
Customer: UK solar farm
Problem: Low gas pressure reported
Solution: Field based SF6 gas top up utilising EMT Site Services and patented EMT Smartfill technology
- Leak survey completed using SF6 leak detector
- Pressure survey completed
- SF6 gas top up completed
- Continued pressure monitoring advised
- Future repair, de-gassing and re-gassing works discussed
Deliverables: SF6 gas top up restored pressure to normal operating conditions. The client was satisfied, particularly given there were challenges sourcing the correct fittings to carry out the works – EMT took care of all requirements from initial surveillance, to sourcing bespoke fittings for connection, and topping up of SF6 compartments.
SF6 Flange Repair Live Conditions Pressure/Outage
Industry: Power T&D
Application: SF6 leaking vertical flanges
Customer: UK electric utility
Problem: Three identified leaking flanges on SF6 substation
Solution: Vertical REFLANGEKiT® SF6 leak sealing
- Leak surveyed/identified using SF6 leak detector
- Environmental/climatic conditions surveyed and approved
- Surface preparation works undertaken
- Cleaning and degreasing of surfaces carried out
- Phase one flange repair – soft shell mounting completed; the purpose of the soft shell is to protect the functional parts of the flange i.e. bolts and seals, and to concentrate the leaked SF6 gas to a single point of the shell where the valve is located. This was followed by re-enforcement of the soft shell
- Phase two flange repair – hard shell and resin application completed; resin was injected into the hard shell and left to cure overnight
- Flanges repaired under live conditions and pressure/outage
- Sleeve removed, valve sealed, and leak test undertaken using EMT SF6 calibrated leak detector, concluded with final seal and post repair testing
Online Repair SF6 Leaking Flange
Industry: Power T&D
Application: SF6 leaking flange
Customer: UK electric utility
Solution: REFLANGEKiT® SF6 leak sealing technique
Technology: The 3X ReflangeKit® concept is based on a composite double shell system that encapsulates the leaking flange. The first shell covers and protects the flange collecting SF6 leaks. The second shell contains specific resin. An exhaust valve allows the SF6 gas to escape during resin injection. After overnight curing of the resin, the valve is closed and sealed giving a 100% seal and leak free composite repair.
Benefits: The installation was non-invasive and did not require a power outage. Repair was completed online and under pressure. Disassembly was easy, the fix was efficient, and cost effective.
Deliverables: Shunts, bolt heads and flange seals are now protected. The completed repair was tested and successful – further repairs are scheduled
Multi-Site SF6 Maintenance Services
Site 1: SF6 substation 3x leaking flanges
Site 2: SF6 substation 6x leaking GIB/GIB flanges
Site 3: SF6 substation 3x leaking GIB/GIB flanges
Site 4: SF6 substation 1x leaking GIB/tank flange
Repair 1: New cover plate repairs
Repair 2: Composite encapsulated leak repair – GIB/GIB straight, medium resin fill
Repair 3: Composite encapsulated leak repair – large flange, GIB/GIB straight, large resin fill
Repair 4: Composite encapsulated leak repair – large flange, reducing shell, large resin fill
- Online and under pressure installation
- Non-invasive system (no risk of resin intrusion into the flange)
- Bolt and screw protection
- Easy disassembly
- Cost effective installation (costly consignation avoided)
- SF6 leak remediation was a success and the flanges remain in service
- SF6 savings across multiple sites 1584 Kg/yr, that’s equivalent to 36,115 metric tons of Carbon Dioxide, or 4,393,148,505 smartphones charged (CO2e), or 4,063,824 gallons of car fuel (CO2e)
EMT Site Services + EMT Technologies = SF6 Leak Free
- Reduce the rate of SF6 loss
- Comply with regulations
- Reduce costs
- Reduce risk of fines
- Reduce CO2 footprint